- Will my child still attend Lakeside?
- What programs will taught be through the IB philosophy and framework?
- Does my child have to write an exam to attend Lakeside?
- Will there still be an enriched program at Lakeside?
- Will my child have to do the personal project?
- What is the difference between the enriched program and the other programs?
- Will we have to pay the current IB fees?
- How will this impact the education of my child?
- How can I get information about the IBMYP, areas of interaction, learner profile and philosophy?
1. Will my child still attend Lakeside?
Yes. The IB Middle Years Programme (IBMYP) is meant to be an inclusive program that caters to all students and learning styles.
2. What programs will taught be through the IB philosophy and framework?
All our programs will continue using the IB philosophy and framework. We will offer the following programs at Lakeside:
- IB English
- IB French Immersion
- IB Enriched
- IB Reach
- IB Work Oriented Pathway (presently called Workstudy)
3. Does my child have to write an exam to attend Lakeside?
The only students who will be required to write an entrance exam are those students applying to the IB Enriched Program. This procedure already exists for our present IB students.
4. Will there still be an enriched program at Lakeside?
Yes. What has been our IB Program to date will continue as the IB Enriched Program and will require an entrance exam.
5. Will my child have to do the personal project?
All students at Lakeside Academy take part in the Personal Project, starting in MYP 4 and finishing in MYP 5. The Personal Project gives the students an amazing opportunity to exhibit what they have learned in the previous 5 years. The students decide what they want to do and are helped through this process with a supervisor.
6. What is the difference between the enriched program and the other programs?
Students in the IB Enriched Program study Spanish as a third language until Secondary 3 and take Français enrichi through Secondary 5. In Secondary 5, students work towards getting certification from IB in Wales. .
7. Will we have to pay the current IB fees?
Any increase in fees for students in programs other than the enriched program would be minimal, in the area of $40. Students in the enriched program already pay increased fees and this will continue.
8. How will this impact the education of my child?
The IBMYP model of teaching is student centred and places importance on student inquiry. The fundamental concepts of the MYP were designed to provide students with the values and opportunities to develop sound judgement and include holistic learning, intercultural awareness and communication.
The Global Contexts provide the core of the MYP. Subjects taught through these contexts allow learning to focus on attitudes, values and skills.
The learner profile directs learning to focus on the development of the whole person.
Teaching through the IBMYP philosophy will support our commitment as a school to develop internationally minded future citizens who will be able to identify issues and know how to proceed to help create a better and more peaceful world.
9. Where can I get information about the IBMYP, Global Contexts, Learner Profile and philosophy?
For further reading about the IBMYP, the areas of interaction and the learner profile, please click here.